You had me at pizza.
Pizza is often seen as a taboo food item, comprised of all the ingredients that are seemingly seen as ‘bad’. But, is pizza bad? Not really. Eaten in moderation, it can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet but the problem lies in understanding how to include this delicacy as part of your intake.
For me, its hard to include a whole pizza into my daily calorific needs unless i don’t eat much all day which is VERY unlikely because i like to eat regularly throughout the day. So, this really takes away those pizza cravings without the added calories (or guilt).
If this is you too, then heres how to:
1. Prepare your base.You can make your base with egg whites (as i did) or with eggs like you would a normal omelette. I just choose to do it with egg whites only (because I would much rather have all the fat content from cheese).
In an oven-safe pan make your omelette, leave it cooking on medium heat until cooked through without flipping it over. Then remove from heat and move to step 2.
2. Choose your sauce.Here we used some Biona Passata sauce which we had left over from some pasta but i like using tomato puree or zero bbq sauce (when i don’t fancy tomato). There is no wrong way about it, just use whatever you like and get creative!
Pour the sauce over your omelette base, and before you move to step 3… pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees C.
3. Topping time!We used fresh spinach leaves, turkey slices and cheddar but you can make any variation you like. The only thing you have to be wary of is the cheese! Its easy to overdo it so make sure you weight out a decent portion rather than loading it on. This was just 40g grated cheddar and it was more than enough. I prefer using Mozzarella, it melts better and imo, is much nicer + has a better nutritional content… but we were out and had to improvise.
Pack your toppings onto the sauced omelette base and proceed to step 4.
4. Bake it!Now, this part might get you by surprise but you’ll need to bake it in the pan! Yes, just as it is… put the pan with your ready made pizza omelette and bake until your cheese is deliciously melted and golden.
5. ENJOY!You’ll have to wait for it too cool a little bit, then transfer onto a plate and BOOM, omelette pizza. Ready to satisfy your cravings!
Honestly, don’t diss this recipe until you try it! Everyone who has tried it, has loved it – especially as it means you can enjoy ‘pizza’ more often than not.
Heres the exact recipe:
200g Egg whites (approx 5-6 egg whites)*
40g Tomato passata
100g turkey slices (chopped)
30g Spinach leaves (chopped)
40g Light Cheddar cheese
1 Tsp oregano
1 Tsp olive oil
Sprinkle of salt
*I hadn’t had much protein all day and needed to make up for it so packed on the egg whites, you don’t need to use this much.
Add olive oil to a med-large pan and heat on med heat.
Once oil is hot, add egg whites and leave to cook as mentioned in STEP 1.
Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees C. Add sauce to omelette base, then toppings, oregano and salt. Alternatively you can add the salt to the omelette while cooking.
Bake in oven (in the pan) until cheese melts and is deliciously golden.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can get really creative and make it suit your exact taste preferences – no matter how wild.
Don’t forget to tag or share. We love to see 🙂
Get exclusive discounts on iherb using code: JCB887
Follow me on instagram for more recipes, videos and nonsense.