Did you know that most experts trace trick-or-treating back to the European practice of “mumming,” or “guysing,” in which costume-wearing participants would go door-to-door performing choreographed dances, songs and plays in exchange for treats! (Yes, that’s right… dancing.)
Although it is unknown precisely where and when the phrase “trick or treat” was coined, the custom had been firmly established in American popular culture by 1951, when trick-or-treating was depicted in the Peanuts comic strip. In 1952, Disney produced a cartoon called “Trick or Treat” featuring Donald Duck and his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie.
One thing is for certain, each year the popularity for this celebration increases with everyone wanting to join in on the pumpkin carving, fancy dress wearing and treat making.
We decided to jump on the bandwagon (but only for the treat making) and made these delicious Spiced ‘Franky’ Muffins.
SPICED 'FRANKY' MUFFINS
Ingredients3 Cups Carrot or Pumpkin Puree
3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
2 Scoops Apple & Custard Whey (can use any whey you prefer)
5 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Sweetener (optional)
1 Tsp Cider Vinegar Topping: 2 Tbsp Water
2 Scoop Vitafiber
60g Peanut Butter Co Pumpkin Spice Decoration: Dark Choc Chunks
- Preheat oven to 170 Degrees C.
- In a bowl mix together all your dry ingredients until combined. Then, fold in your wet ingredients until you get a thick batter.
- Prepare a muffin tray with muffin cases and pour batter into each, should be enough for 12.
- Bake for 30-40mins (until soft and springy to touch and golden on edges).
- Leave to cool completely.
- To make PB frosting mix water and vitafiber and whisk vigorously, microwave for 30 seconds or heat in pan till vitafiebr dissolves. Then spread over your cooled muffins and store in fridge for an hour so it can set.
- You can decorate as you please, we used dark choc chunks and Sukrin i ing made as per instructions on packaging.
Nutritional Info (per slice):138 Cals | 4.5F | 17.7C | 7.7P
Free from Gluten & Wheat.
We also dug out our favourite Halloween themed recipes from previous years (including one that never got published), have a scroll:
Using beef gelatine, straws and a hella lot of patience… make these disgusting looking high protein worms! Recipe here.
SPIDER MATCHA CAKE
Spooky green cake made with Matcha and using walnuts to simulate worms and a ‘cream’ topping painted with a spider web. All the Halloween things, under one frightful recipe. Click here for it.
BLOODY FINGERS (VEGAN)
This recipe was made for Bulkpowders but never published! So, we thought we’d dig it out just for you guys. Easy, no baking, made Vegan and no that isn’t real blood just a bit of Vegan friendly red dye! Recipe below.
BLOODY FINGERS (VEGAN)
Ingredients5 Pre-soaked dates*
25g Chopped Hazelnuts
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder or Cacao
1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 Tbsp Brown Rice Protein
2 Tbsp Ground Almonds
6 Blanched Almonds
Concentrated Vegan Red Food Colouring
- Add your pre-soaked dates, walnuts and hazelnuts to a bowl and start mushing them down with a utensil of your preference. The edge of a wooden rolling pin is perfect for this to really grind everything together.
- Start adding all the rest of the ingredients in the order they are listed, mixing with a spoon, leaving the ground almonds till last. Your mix should remain kind of sticky up until that point, the ground almonds will add the final touch to make them easier to roll. Roll them into finger shaped bars and place on a baking sheet.
- Dip your 6 almonds into the colouring so that the tips are smudged with red, press them onto your rolled up fingers and whack them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- No doubt the trick or treaters will be pleased when they come knocking!
Nutritional Info (per slice):182Cals | 8.1F | 25.2C | 4.6P
Free from Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Egg & Sugar (agave contains sugars)
HOPE YOU ENJOYED OUR HALLOWEEN THEMED RECIPES
Don’t forget to tag us if you try any of these recipes, you can find us on all social media outlets @themusclebakery
For 15% discount on Bulkpowders use code: MUSCLEBAKERY15
For 10% discount on iHerb (on your first purchase) use code: JCB887
HAPPY (HALLOWEENY) BAKING!